Living well is a lifelong journey that knows no age or limitation. We learn and grow together.
Better with Age is a workout class for people over 60, that was designed because exercise is beneficial to everyone, regardless of age. Oftentimes, reduced strength, muscle mass, balance, and stamina can contribute to discontinued physical activity in the aging population. The good news is, research has demonstrated that regular exercise and strength training can build muscle mass and strength, preserve bone density, and promote vitality with age. In addition, physical activity can improve cardiovascular health, reduce fall risk, and improve sleep and mood.
Better with Age will certainly change your life for the better.
Improve your strength. Unlike many fitness classes designed for older adults, we believe it is important to exercise up on our feet rather than sitting down. This simulates how we perform functional tasks, which promotes independence and carryover into your daily routines.
Safely challenge your cardiovascular system to improve endurance and promote heart health.
Provide a variety of exercises to challenge balance, emphasize strategies to combat falls, and develop coordination.
Provide an environment that is appropriate for different levels, health conditions, orthopedic presentations, and ages. Most health conditions are improved with exercise, which is why we are able to accommodate routines to fit the needs of our participants so they are appropriately challenged at their level, while set up to be safe.
Have fun! Creating an enjoyable social experience is just as important as the exercise part. You can’t help but have fun in class between the coaches, amazing participants, good music, and enjoyable conversation! Better with Age is one of the best parts of the day!
Health at any age is a true possibility. It is a privilege to see how athletic, strong, and hardworking our participants are. Oftentimes, people just aren’t given an opportunity to discover how much they can do. We know aging is not a reason to stop moving or get weak, which fuels our passion to make sure our community has the chance to get Better with Age.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do I have to be a current or former patient to Participate in Better with Age?
- No. Anyone 60 and older is welcome to join the class.
What types of exercises do participants do during class?
- Our class is always changing to keep things fun and challenging so you can get the most out of your workout. We focus on movements and exercises that will easily translate to improving your daily life. Depending on your ability and level, you may be using various equipment to increase or decrease the intensity of particular exercises and to maximize your abilities during class.
How much supervision is there during class?
- Each class is designed and led by 2 physical therapists that will guide and support you every step of the way. Each class is capped at 8 participants, so we can provide close supervision and assist you throughout the class.
When is the class scheduled?
- Currently, Better with Age classes are held every Monday and Wednesday from 12:15-1:15pm. Depending on demand, more classes/times may be added in the future.
How long is each class?
- Every class is scheduled for 60 minutes.
Can new participants start at any time?
- Absolutely, anyone can join the class at any time. Our instructors will make sure we start you off at a pace that works for you. We will modify exercises and difficulty level to make sure you are safe while getting a great workout.
What are the requirements for me attending this class?
- Other than being 60 or older, we ask that you speak with your physician for clearance to begin exercising with us.
What is the cost?
- $15 per class.